Friday, February 28, 2014

Thank you, social media.

I was just going to tweet my sentiments but found myself needing half a dozen or so tweets to do so, so I'm just going to write my thoughts here. I also just want to make sure I'm really utilizing this blog for its intended purpose, which is for expressing my thoughts without so much worry.

I am so grateful for social media. The connections I've made with people I would otherwise have no way of connecting to just kind of overwhelms me sometimes. I met my ex-girlfriend and a few of my best friends on LiveJournal many years ago. I met my husband on OkCupid. I've met friends through Words With Friends, Draw Something, and MySpace. I've been able to reach out to people who have inspired me by contacting them through Twitter who might otherwise be difficult to reach due to a large fan base or a busy schedule. I've learned and grown as a person and a feminist because of the information so readily accessible and sharable vis-a-vis Facebook.

The life social media has helped breathe into me at times is not something I'm ashamed of, it's something I'm incredibly grateful for. Many people feel they're born in the wrong time period, citing deep connections with the social, musical, or political atmosphere of a certain era passed, but I feel right at home here and now. I'm here exactly when I should be. I'm not a lazy, entitled millennial (truth be told, I feel a few years too old to even claim the title "millennial", which is fine, because it's unfairly developed a bit of a stigma, often being used alongside terms like... well, lazy and entitled). I am using to my advantage the technology and connectivity I've been given. Sure, I enjoy firing up an SNES or putting on a record now and then, but I don't feel that Steam or iTunes is inferior. It's just new, and I embrace it. Why wouldn't I? Everything becomes sentimental and nostalgic with enough time, and one day we'll look back fondly at the iPhone 5 as a relic of a past, better time.

I'm getting off track, though. What I'm getting at is that I am so happy to be a twentysomething in the twenty-teens (post-aughts? Just "teens"? What are we calling 2010-2019? Will 2020 just be "the twenties" again? Oh geeze). The connections I've made and the people I've met and the experiences I've had would not exist if not for the internet. My life would not be what it is in any way, shape, or form if I were born at a different time. I shudder to think what my life would be -if it even would be- if I were born in 1926 instead of 1986. I don't believe in God, but sometimes I think there's a level of spirituality and rightness and balance that help guide souls into bodies at the right time. Then again we'll never know how many octogenarians would have had better (or worse) lives if they'd been born 50 years later.

I'm going to quit while I'm ahead here.

No comments:

Post a Comment